Yes, there are job opportunities for those with the right skills required by the labor market, but there is also very high competition from the British and foreigners. There is therefore the risk of having to clash with a less favorable working reality than the one to which it aspired. And, hence, what are the best Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers?
With this article I want to offer you some cities that are not part of the collective imagination when considering emigration to England. They certainly do not offer all the opportunities offered by a megalopolis like London, but most likely offer a cost and a pace of life that is more in keeping with many of us.
Often the unemployment rate is lower than the capital; moreover, depending on your sector of work, it is possible that job opportunities are better for you outside of London. Here is the list of 7 cities to live in UK for job seekers that offer good amount of opportunities.
Bristol (the best to live in UK both for job seekers and job holders)
- Bristol is the main city in the southwest of England and has just over four hundred thousand inhabitants.
- It is ranked eighth in the ranking of larger cities, from the point of view of the population, of the United Kingdom. It is among the best spots to live and find jobs in UK.
- It is just over two hour drive west of London and its economy has traditionally been linked to the maritime connection offered by its geographical location.
- During the twentieth century a significant aeronautical sector was developed and the city offers good opportunities in the tourism, media, information technology and financial services sectors.
- According to the Office for National Statistics, the South-West unemployment rate during the period January – March 2015 was 4.3%, a sharp decline from the figure of 6.2% two years earlier.
Plymouth (full of job opportunities for new comers)
- Plymouth is a city located on the south coast of Devon at over 300 km from London.
- The city currently has about 250,000 residents, thus placing itself at the twenty-seventh place in the ranking of the most populous cities of England and Wales.
- Its economy has always been strongly linked to the maritime sector, thanks its geographical position, with particular emphasis on military defense.
- Devonport Dockyard is the only naval base in the United Kingdom capable of handling nuclear submarines and the British Navy estimates that the Dockyard generates 10% of the income of the city of Plymouth.
- Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers in 2021
- The number of companies operating in the sector is estimated at around 270.
- The University of Plymouth is another major employer for 3,000 employees thanks to the presence of 30,000 students.
Southampton (best city to live in UK full of labor opportunities)
- Southampton is located 120 kilometers southwest of London.
- It is an important port and has a population of around 250,000 residents. It is the best spot to live in UK for the labor class.
- You will often see the abbreviated city’s name as “Soton” or “So’ton”.
- From a business point of view, some major companies include the University of Southampton, Southampton Solent University, Southampton Airport, Ordnance Survey (maps), BBC Southand Carnival UK (cruises).
- Southampton stands out as the UK’s main cruise port.
- Despite the rivalry, Southampton and Portsmouth (separated by twenty-two miles) are often considered as a single regional area that has about 1.5 million people making it one of the most populous urban areas in the United Kingdom.
- The unemployment rate in the South-East region of the United Kingdom during the January-March 2015 quarter was 4.2%, down from the 6.6% recorded two years earlier.
York (a historic city and best to live in UK)
- York is the capital of the homonymous county.
- It has a thousand-year history and is one of the major tourist attractions of the United Kingdom.
- It is located over two hundred miles north of London and has about 200,000 residents.
- During the nineteenth century, York became a very important hub of the British rail network and one of the UK’s leading chocolate and confectionery centers.
- 7 Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers
- Until the eighties, most of the employment was concentrated in the manufacturing sector and was offered by four / five companies.
- Since then the York economy has diversified and nowadays the service sector has a much greater prominence, providing most of the job opportunities.
- For example, the University of York has become a very important employer for the city and tourism has increased its profile within the city economy.
- York is indeed one of the most visited cities by both British and foreign tourists.
- The unemployment rate in the Yorkshire & Humberside region (which also includes Hull, a city with major employment problems) was calculated at 6.9% during the January to March 2015 quarter, a sharp decline compared to 9.7% for two years before.
Brighton (Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers)
- Brighton is located on the south coast of England, about fifty miles south of London.
- It is a very popular seaside town also for short visits by London residents.
- Together with the cities of Hove, Worthing and Littlehampton it is a metropolitan area with almost half a million inhabitants.
- Although tourism is one of the most important sectors for the economy of Brighton, the city sees the presence of several companies in the field of trade, manufacturing and retail trade.
- One of the companies with the biggest profile is American Express, whose European headquarters have been in Brighton since 1977. This company is very interesting for Italians (or foreigners in general) because it offers many job opportunities within the customer service Italian.
- Brighton is also a popular destination for conferences, exhibitions and fairs, hosting more than a hundred events a year with the consequent use of hotels and restaurants by visitors.
- Top 7 Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers
- The city is also close to Gatwick Airport so many workers choose to live in Brighton and commute. This city is, no doubt, the best spot to live in UK for creative people.
- There are also two universities resulting in the presence of thousands of British and foreign students. During the summer Brighton is particularly popular with European students who learn English.
- I was part of my university studies in Brighton and I left my heart.
Norwich (a welcoming city to the talent)
- Norwich is the county seat of Norfolk.
- It has a thousand-year history and during the eleventh century was the second largest city of England after London.
- It is located just over 100 miles northeast of London and currently has a population of over 200,000 residents.
- Like many other cities in the United Kingdom, Norwich’s economy was based on the manufacturing sector until the 1980s.
- Since then, as in many other cities, there has been a transition to the tertiary sector.
- The best Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers
- Companies in the insurance and financial services sector have a very high profile within the Norwich economy.
- The East region, to which Norwich belongs, had an unemployment rate of 4.4% during the quarter January – March 2015, down compared to 6.7% measured two years earlier.
Leicester (Best Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers)
- Leicester (pronounced ‘lester’) is the county seat of Leicestershire and is located one hundred miles north of London.
- The urban area of Leicester hosts over half a million people making it the 10th largest city in the United Kingdom.
- It was founded by the Romans and is one of the British cities that most maintains a connection with its past thanks to the presence of buildings belonging to various historical periods.
- 7 Cities To Live In Uk For Job Seekers
- It became an important manufacturing center during the nineteenth century thanks to its centrality in the British railway network.
- Even today it is at the center of important rail and car connections.
- In Leicester there are many important communities coming from the Asian subcontinent, from the Caribbean and more recently from Eastern Europe. That’s why it is the best spot to live in UK for foreigners.
- Leicester’s economy is quite “varied”. There are many engineering, food and beverage companies, services and commercial services.
Let’s try these spots for living and you’ll get the job of your own choice because these are the best cities to live in UK for job seekers.